Founded in 1898
The George Washington Council #359 was founded in Morristown, New Jersey on July 7, 1898.
Our Council is the only Council named after a non-Catholic. George Washington, the first President of the United States of America was an Episcopalian. Morristown, New Jersey is known as the ‘Military Capital of the Revolution’. General Washington and the Continental Army wintered in and around Morristown during the winters of 1776-1780 and 1779-1780.
Council 359 is located on The Green, the central square of Morristown, the County Seat of Morris County, NJ. Recently the Council performed a multi-phase renovation of our Council Hall in order to restore it to its original glory.
Council leadership and membership is committed to various acts of Charity, Service, and Fraternity. These acts are based upon the Knights of Columbus Four Pillars of Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism. Additional information is included in the Charity and Events sections of this site.
Guided by the above principles, members of the Knights of Columbus work to overcome the hardships that people face in their parishes and communities. We are a growing organization, with nearly 2 million members. For over 130 years, the Knights have committed to overcome the challenges of the need for food, shelter, warm clothing and financial security, as well as provide aid for widows and orphans in our local communities.